Thursday, June 25, 2009

who's in control?

Wow! Do I look lighter, or what?

Worry happens when I forget that God is in control. It's my attempt to take His place in order to control situations or people or outcomes, and is about as helpful as when I lend my assistance to lift something heavy. Say we're moving a piano, and there are already 3 or 4 strong men--one on each corner of the thing, veins popping, faces reddening--and along I come to 'lend my assistance.' I try with all my might to help raise the weight. Nothing changes. The piano is being moved, but not by me. My assistance amounts to nothing more than a futile expenditure of effort on my part, as well as a hindrance to the One who is moving it.

God is in control. Period. He is still on His throne.

The great, weight-lifting news in that is this: I AM NOT IN CONTROL! Consequently, that also relieves me of the responsibility of controlling.

I am not responsible for the following: 1) My children's salvation, job choices, or overall well-being. God promises to keep that which I entrust to Him. 2) The happiness of others. People generally get glad in the same britches they got mad in. Let them. 3) 'Fixing' other people's bad choices. Saving someone from their own consequences usually just ties God's hands. And its simply not my job. What it boils down to is this: I am not responsible for everybody's everything. To think that I am, comes straight from the one who thought he wanted to take God's throne.

What then am I responsible for? Trusting God. He is able. "He upholds all things by the word of his power." Heb. 1:3. All things.

No comments:

Post a Comment