Wednesday, June 3, 2009

give thanks

"Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18


Thank you, Lord for every circumstance and situation that draws us closer to you.

When I first became a mom I thought, "If I do everything right, I can keep my child from crying." Bad mistake. Come to find out, crying is actually beneficial to the development of their little lungs; it's the only way they can communicate. As my children have grown, that same lie still permeates my subconscious: "Somehow, if I do everything right, they will never experience pain, or disappointment, or even defeat." Again, bad mistake.

Thank you, Lord for every circumstance and situation that draws us closer to you.

I'd like to believe its the good times that bring us nearer to God. But I think all too often it's the difficult times instead. ICU waiting rooms. Negative test results. Car wrecks. Job stress, or stress that comes from no job. Death of a loved one. You get where I'm going. These are the 'circumstances and situations' that drive me to my knees (and sometimes even to my face) to seek my Father. Why would my kids be any different?

Maybe this is how He causes 'all things to work together for good, for those who love Him, for the called according to His purpose.' Romans 8:28

Therefore, I will thank you Lord for every circumstance and situation that draws us closer to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment